Pages

Wednesday 7 July 2021

Matariki Art

Today my class and I were doing art. This art was based on the celebration Matariki. Matariki is very important for the Maori culture, and its important for them because it is the day of the Maori New Year, and there are nine stars that are important for them, because they were the stars they used, to lead them here to Aotearoa (New Zealand). Maori's don't follow the normal calendar, they follow the Lunar Calendar, Lunar means moon. Now that you have a little knowledge about Matariki, let's get into what my art is about and what I used for it.

Firstly, my teacher split us into four groups, one was the silhouette painting. We used dye for this and black paint or pastel. The second one was Acrostic Poems, there were only a few people who did this. They needed a piece of paper and they had to write out what each letter of the word Matariki means to them or means. The other one was Stars + Goals + Patterns. Int this activity they had to color in a star with circles around it, and put their goals in it, they could also add some patterns if they wanted to. The last art activity was Whare (house). In this activity only a three people could do this because there wasn't enough popsicle sticks to make the whare with. They had to glue the sticks together and make a whare, they also added a background using cardboard.

The group that I was in, was the Silhouette painting group. In the image above is a picture of my piece of art that I did. It is also an example of what my group was doing. I really enjoyed doing this painting, even though I had made a few mistakes during the process, I still managed to complete my art in one day. We were going to use paint for this activity, but my teacher said to use dye because it blends a bit more better. In my opinion it was much better than paint because it blended better. It was really fun and enjoyable, now all we need to do is display it in the hall for other people to see.

Feel Free to Comment :) Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment